With the supermarket shelves full of Halloween sweets, this can be a time of year our levels of sugar consumption start creeping up. Before you stock up on too many bags of fun-size chocolates, how about trying to make some of your own sweet treats – ones that are not going to induce a spike in sugar – starting with our healthy take on a Pumpkin & Chocolate Fudge Brownie?
Reasons to make these yummy brownies
- These brownies are free from gluten, dairy and eggs. All ingredients used are really nourishing to your body so you can feel less guilty about a little indulgence.
- These brownies are also rich, decadent and dense so you only need a little slice! The ingredients have been chosen with your health (and waistline) in mind:
- Cacao powder: Rich in minerals, especially magnesium which is essential for the peristalsis action of the bowel, keeping your bowel movements regular. Also rich in fibre and essential fats but low in sugar.
- Pumpkin: A great source of fibre to keep your bowels moving regularly, also a good source of vitamin A which is essential for the repair of the cell membranes in the intestines.
- Maple syrup: A good alternative to processed sugars which have been stripped of their nutrition, maple syrup contains vitamins, especially of the B variety and it has a lower glycaemic Index than normal sugar, meaning that it causes less of a spike in blood sugar.
- Coconut oil: Coconut oil is packed with essential mono-unsaturated fats which are burned as energy rather than being stored as fat. Coconut oil is also anti-bacterial, anti-viral and anti-microbial helping to fight any bad bacteria in the gut.
- Cinnamon: Great for stabilising blood sugar levels.
For more of our healthy, gut-healing dishes, download our gluten-free, dairy-free and refined sugar-free recipes here: https://justfortummies.co.uk/recipes/.
We hope you enjoy these brownies, along with any of the other tummy-friendly recipes that you decide to try out. If you have any questions about food choices to suit your digestive needs or any of our products, please do get in touch.